American Bank was established in 1952 as Bellmead State Bank. In 1979, American Bank of Waco (formerly Bellmead State Bank) moved into its new building on Interstate 35. On the other side of town, American National Bank was established in 1982. When the six story American Plaza opened in August of 1986, American National expanded by moving its lobby area to the first floor of the Plaza. In November of 1987, the two banks merged, providing Waco with the convenience of banking at "both ends of town". Our East facility is located in the heart of Bellmead, just north of Waco on Interstate 35. The West facility is on Highway 6, just across from the Richland Mall and in the middle of the ever expanding industrial district.